May 16, 2020

AGE IS NOT JUST A NUMBER – MY THOUGHTS AFTER TURNING 81 TODAY


It is often said that “age is just a number” and therefore one should not bother when this number increases.
It is not a correct statement. Age is not a just a number but a reality. It does weaken your body and brings down its capacities as this number goes up. You cannot remain in youthful state by just keep on imagining that you are the person and have not changed.
As a B.Sc.Ag. student in 1957 at hostel at Ludhiana
This hostel has now been made a girls hostel. It was the first hostel which had
come up at PAU  and we were the first group of students to move into it.

I turned 81 today. Therefore I am trying to revaluate myself. The past one year has brought a big change in my physical capabilities. My gait has changed many times I am not able to balance myself, especially when I am out of my home compound. Therefore I need to use a walking stick. I have to take an auto for going to market or to friends’ places. This is resulting in reduction in my contact with outside world. Most of my socialization now is through Face Book  only. I do miss sitting and having a drink with friends. I also miss my favourite jalebi, gulab jamuns and non-vegetarian food items which my doctors have asked me stop completely. Another unwelcome change is that feeling of discomfort during sleep at night after I take a drink. Though this does not happen every time, but does happen in fifty per cent cases. I just cannot stand a second drink.
Needing walking stick now.

The positive side of the reduced outdoor activity, however, is that now I have more time for devoting to my favourite pursuit, writing. So during most of my time now, I am in my study.
I am also developing a feeling now that is has been enough and therefore will not be bad to retire from this world. As with more age related body problems, life in coming years may not be easy. I am also reminded about Mitch Aboms international best seller, “Tuesdays with Morie”, which has an account of the last days of a helpless professor.
My suggestion for reading 

I have also recorded my feelings in this blog when I had turned 75 (https://fruitipedia.blogspot.com/2018/09/thoughts-in-my-mind-on-75th-birthday-16.html) and then last year after turning 80  (https://fruitipedia.blogspot.com/2019/05/thoughts-in-my-mind-on-turning-eighty.html). Friends, please read these too and then tell me whether I am right or not.
I shall be eagerly looking forward for your comments.

1 comment:

  1. Life is a like a wheel of cycle. Learning to walk again like a kids step is the best example.
    Good luck Sir, I wish you a very healthy span of this life, may God bless you with disease free, pain free, days, months, years ahead.
    Please keep sharing your valuable experiences .....a guide for us !!

    ReplyDelete