May 15, 2021

BULLET TRAIN OF JAPAN

 Bullet trains are expected to run in India in few years.  This reminded me of my ride in SHIN KAN SEN, the bullet train of Japan.  I was Japan in 2010 for seven weeks on a senior fellowship from the Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS).  I was to lecture on Himalayan wild fruits at different Japanese universities and fruit research stations.  At that time, I also got an opportunity to travel a few times by Shin Kan Sen. 



Interior of a Shin Kan Sen compartment.  

Had a look at my old photo albums and found a few photographs of Shin Kan Sen.  I am posting these to my FB friends to give them the idea of the things to come.


 
In the train

I also travelled in 1984 by the famous French train TGV between Paris and Geneva.  TGV was said to be the “FASTEST TRAIN OF THE WORLD” at that time.  I do not know its standing now.  I have travelled by trains in UK and many other European countries.  I have also travelled by train in USA and Australia.


 Shin Kan Sen is arriving at the railway platform at Okayama railway station. Boarding points at the platform are marked by white lines at the platform and the passengers wait there in line. The operation is so meticulous that when the train sops, all the doors come exactly at the boarding points.

I have also travelled by the Chinese bullet trains from Shanghai and Beijing.  I rate this as the BEST train in the word among all the trains I have travelled. 

A Shin Kan Sen platform at Okayama railway station

 




No comments:

Post a Comment